Dial 211 Central New York
Call 211 or 1-844-245-1922
Home     Popular Topics     All Topics     Helplines     Search 211     Help Me Grow     About     Contact Us

← Back to Results

Temporary Assistance (TA)


Offers temporary help for individuals and families in need while they work towards self sufficiency. Will assist with security deposit or first month's rent, but not both.

Family Assistance (FA) provides money for families with children. Cash benefits are limited to five years in a recipient's lifetime. After five years, a Family Assistance case may continue to receive benefits if an adult is disabled and cannot work or may be required to apply for assistance through the Safety Net category.

Safety Net Assistance (SNA) provides money for basic living expenses for single adults and childless couples (or families who have used up their 5-year limit of FA). Cash benefits are limited to two years in a recipient's lifeltime. After two years, the non-cash Safety Net Assistance voucher system provides benefits.

Emergency Temporary Assistance through Emergency Assistance for Families (EAF) or Emergency Safety Net Assistance (ESNA) provides assistance for crisis situations including evictions, moving expenses, utility shutoffs, help with food expenses, and diversion payments to help individuals avoid the need for ongoing assistance. Individuals do not need to be on public assistance to receive Emergency Temporary Assistance.

Eligibility: Eligibility varies depending on household size, available income, and expenses

Application Process: Call or walk-in to apply

Required Documentation: Proof of income required, call for specific documents

Fees: None

Onondaga County

Map and Directions

Onondaga County Department of Social Services

421 Montgomery Street
Syracuse NY 13202

Website: www.ongov.net/dss

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM

Disabled: Fully Accessible


Intake / Applications: 315-435-2700

Intake Fax: 315-435-3599

Undercare Fax: 315-435-8230

Website: www.ongov.net/dss/ta

421 Montgomery Street
Civic Center, 2nd Floor
Syracuse NY 13202


Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM


Disabilities Access

Fully Accessible


Voiance Language Helpline

This program is offered at this site:

John H Mulroy Civic Center Complex

Main Address:

421 Montgomery Street

Syracuse NY 13202

Onondaga County Assistance & Information:

Contact Community Services answers the 211CNY phone line
211CNY is answered by:
United Way

United Way of Central New York
United Way of Greater Oswego County
United Way of Northern New York, Inc.

Help us keep our 211 database current by emailing suggested updates to [email protected]
Add 211 buttons to your website.
Inclusion policy.
Copyright 2015-2020

Custom 211 Website Design/Development/iCarol by CustomWebHelp


Translations managed
by Google